get in touch
send me a message
Connect with me
SEAN GALLAGHER BSc., FRGS
My name is Sean Gallagher, an independent photographer and filmmaker. My work focuses on creating photography and documentary film projects that highlight stories from the front line of the climate crisis and other important and under-reported global environmental issues. Originally from the UK, I have lived and worked across Asia for over 15 years and am currently based out of Beijing.
From chasing timber poachers with armed policemen through the jungles of Cambodia, to photographing undercover in secretive North Korea, I produce diverse stories for some of the world’s leading news outlets.
I am an 8-time recipient of Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting travel grants, my images are represented by the National Geographic Image Collection and I am a Fellow of the UK Royal Geographical Society.
I graduated in Zoology from university in the United Kingdom and it is my background in science that has led to much of my work being focused on communicating environmental issues through visual storytelling.
Learn more about my work in this World Press Photo article.
SELECTED AWARDS & GRANTS
- Earth Photo Awards – Winner, Best Short Film – Cambodia Burning – 2020
- Pictures of the Year – Award of Excellence in Documentary Daily Life – Uncaged Film, 2020
- Environmental Photographer of the Year – Changing Environments Prize, 2019
- Resilience Science Journalism Fellow – Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at City University New York, 2019
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute Science Journalism Fellow, 2017
- Made a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS) for continuing work documenting environmental issues in Asia, 2014.
- Environmental Film of the Year – Winner – ‘The Toxic Price of Leather’. Atkins CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year Competition, 2014.
- Eight-time recipient of travel grant from The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting, 2009-2020
- Published ‘Meltdown’, a multimedia eBook documenting China’s environmental crises in the early 21st Century, 2013
- First Place for Multimedia in the Press Photographer’s Year Awards, 2011
View Extended CV HERE
My approach to visual storytelling and extensive experience in Asia, allows me to create unique photography and video projects for my editorial and commercial clients.
SELECTED EDITORIAL CLIENTS
View work for these clients HERE
I collaborate extensively with the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting who have helped sponsor many of my projects in Asia. These projects have included a 4000km journey across China documenting the threats from increasing desertification, a cross-country journey through India photographing the effects of pollution and a 1-month journey across the Tibetan plateau recording the effects of climate change on the ‘roof of the world’.
SELECTED COMMERCIAL CLIENTS
View work for these clients HERE
I have worked on photo and video projects for some of the world’s leading international brands. I use my background in editorial photography and video to create character-driven stories, utilising creative photography and cinematographic techniques to communicate campaigns.
EDUCATION & PUBLIC SPEAKING
I was previously a senior lecturer on Bolton University’s International Multimedia Journalism Programme (2015-18) in Beijing and am involved in education-outreach programmes both in Asia and the United States, using visual storytelling to communicate the issues that I cover to a wide variety of audiences.
To date, I have presented my work and spoken to over 50 institutions including:
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- The Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars
- The Shanghai World Expo
- The Climate Institute
- Georgetown University
- State Department of the US Government
- BBC World Service